Small things

 When I was in the Air Force I was befriended by a patient. She was married to a PA working in the same hospital. She was a veteran and had been a nurse. They had a seven year old boy and then a severely handicapped baby The baby was a big stress factor in their marriage. 

So I became The Baby Sitter. They had to have an adult sitter who could manage the baby's medications and seizures.  Pretty soon I was almost living with them. traveling with them and even taking the older boy on "dates" to the local ice cream parlor. I loved that family and they had a big influence on me.

Fast forward 20 years. With the help of the internet I found them. They had no idea who I was. Finally, they sort of remembered me. I was updated on the kids and that was that.

When my children were little, one of them did something good, and in jest I said "Oh, you're my favorite child!" Little knowing the damage that would do. For years they would do something and come and ask me, "Am I you're favorite child now?" I had no idea my joking remark would imprint their little hearts.

Fast forward to this fall, the 40 year class reunion. A fellow that was in my Sunday School class but that I wasn't particularly friends with came up to thank me for baking him a birthday cake those many many years ago. That no one else ever had. I had absolutely no memory of it.

This week my brother and I were chatting and he told me his favorite Christmas present ever was one that I had bought him back in the 80's - a Star Wars ship. Once again, I have no memories of this.

So get to the point already, Lady.

The smallest acts we do, the interactions we have with people, the words we say impact others in ways we may never know. They influence us and we influence others. Thoughtless words wound and scar. 

I know you know the Butterfly Effect Theory but I will state it for you anyway.

In chaos theorythe butterfly effect is the sensitive dependence on initial conditions in which a small change in one state of a deterministic nonlinear system can result in large differences in a later state. ... A very small change in initial conditions had created a significantly different outcome.

So be a beautiful butterfly that leaves wonderful effects in your wake.

<script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
<!-- scoobybedeau2_page_body_AdSense1_ -->
<ins class="adsbygoogle"
     style="display:block"
     data-ad-client="ca-pub-2360701609150243"
     data-ad-slot="3786090208"
     data-ad-format="auto"
     data-full-width-responsive="true"></ins>
<script>
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

</script>

Comments

Popular Posts