Indian Ann and wild rice

My friend Ann, who refers to herself as Indian Ann because there are so many people of our acquaintance named Ann, provided me with a wild rice recipe.

Of course as I set out to make it, I was missing about 3 ingredients. Therefore I have created my own recipe.

Today is Christmas Eve, and it is sunny and bright. My husband said it was 3 degrees, but being hearty I had a little jacket on and it was perfect.

Today started with a knock. On the door. I was awake, barely. It was cousin Jeannie telling me she was going shopping. That reminded me that I was going to get up early (it was now 11 am) and get out to Sam's Club before the traffic. I threw on some clothes, brushed my teeth, pretended to fix my hair...the cow licks do what they want anyway, and waited 20 minutes for my husband to get ready.

There was no traffic! No one at the registers. I was able to pick up my beverages (K-cups, Frappe and sweet tea) and run out. A quick stop at Walmart for K cups for hot tea. Again, easy parking and the only one in line!  I came back, gave the living room a quick pick up and started dinner, which is where the recipe comes in.


INDIAN ANN RICE (Modified version)

Shopping list:
Wild rice
Heavy cream or a can of cream of something soup.
celery, onion and green pepper
Some kind of meat
bamboo shoots and water chestnuts
Soy sauce

Cook your wild rice, be gentle and don't break it. 

In a large casserole put your can of soup. I didn't have any, so I used some heavy cream I needed to use up, I threw a little pepper in it. Saute the green pepper, celery and onion. You only need about 1/4 cup of each. Put that in the cream - she also suggests a can of drained mushrooms but I can't stand them. And 1/4 cup of soy sauce, I used less due to sodium.

She then adds her browned ground beef, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. I was missing that, so I used cubed and cooked chicken breast (3 small ones). snow peas, baby corn, and tiny pieces of carrot.

Stir in the rice last, and very gently. You don't want to break up perfect rice.  Bake this conglomeration in a 2 quart casserole - which I mixed it in so save on dirty dishes.  45 min at 350.

Now here is the thing about wild rice. Ours comes from my husbands reservation and we buy the best quality. You only serve the dark stuff if you don't really like your guests that much.

I am guessing that the wild rice from the store, especially here in white people land will have to be something like Uncle Ben's. Get the best quality you can find though.

I have a bunch of vegetables left over from a party we had, big relish tray, so I am going to steam the broccoli and cauliflower. I will just drizzle a little butter and skip the cheese sauce. Then some canned Grand biscuits and dinner is served (on paper plates). That should leave me with only a casserole, a biscuit pan and some silverware to wash.

Naturally we forgot to get one person a gift, so Ken is out trying to get something appropriate at the last minute. The kids will be here at 6, at least the ones who are in town. Let the Holiday Bustle and Fun begin!

My patient told me a story once. She had cooked a pot of rice and her daughter came by. When she opened the pot and saw the dark rice she started crying and asked "Mom, don't you love me anymore? Why did you cook me dark rice?"

The nuances of cultures.

Comments

Popular Posts