Beaches and jukeboxes

I love the beach, or rather the ocean. It is the definition of infinity to me. I can sit and watch it for hours. I always loved to go to Myrtle Beach for my birthday in November. The tourists were gone, only the local shops and restaurants were open. One little Pancake house had those little jukeboxes at each table.

It reminded me of the diner in South Charleston where my mother would take me on the rare occasions she had to take off work for an eye appointment for me. Never dental - we were way too poor for that. But my vision was so bad and deteriorating so quickly that the eye doctor, Dr. Willie Childress was a necessity.

I still love a jukebox. My cousins and I would dance on the Moose Lodge floor to the bands on bean dinner night, or the jukebox if there was no band. Songs chosen by our parents, like Proud Mary (the CCR version).

Some beaches have sharks teeth, some have one or two kinds of shells. You really have to use your eyes and quick hands to get the sharks teeth as they are very light and slide right back out with the tides. Our last family vacation, I had a big tax return and my mother and my two youngest children went for an entire week.

I was a guest teacher in St. Matthews, South Carolina. I was teaching sea ecology. The children were incredibly well behaved. They were fascinated with all the shells, and especially the active little hermit crabs and a preserved jelly fish in a jar. What was amazing was that these children whose parents were mostly sharecroppers, lived just hours from the beach but most of them had NEVER seen the ocean. How I wished I could load them into a bus and take them to see one of God's greatest creations.

It never loses its eternal fascination. The tides ever going out and coming in, unstoppable by any force, wearing down rocks and shells and glass to sand. . It can be soothing at its calmest and exciting at its wildest but always constantly in motion. How I wish I were there sitting in the sand with my toes dug into the wet sand, watching. Just watching.

Comments

Popular Posts